This Organ and Tissue Donor Referral Toolkit includes a variety of teaching tools and instructional resources intended to help providers implement a comprehensive educational program about the organ and tissue donor referral process.
At the end of this educational program, participants will be able to:
- Identify when it is appropriate to make a referral call to organ procurement organization for organ or tissue donation based on clinical triggers
- State the time frame in which all referral calls to the organ procurement organization must be made
- Identify the appropriate organ procurement organization or donation agency to contact to make a referral.
- Review the responsibilities of donation agency and healthcare facility in the referral process
- Explain the impact of organ and tissue donation and transplantation as a result of the donor referral call
This toolkit can be used for both clinical and non-clinical staff to explore the process and legal requirements of the donation process. A lesson plan is provided for those who wish to view this educational program as it incorporates all resources from the toolkit. This lesson plan includes time requirements, instructional notes, ideas for learning management system implementation, and more!
- Lesson Plan
- Video (with transcript for closed captioning)
- Agency Information Sheet
- Fact or Fiction Activity Sheet
- Certificate of Completion
Additional Resources and Stories of Donation
The federal government and the United Network for Organ sharing provide a wealth of information about organ donation, including up-to-date statistics and other resources that can support discussions about the impact of donation on both donor families and recipients. In addition, the video stories linked below provide first-person perspective on how donation changes lives.
- U.S. Government Information on Organ Donation and Transplantation
- United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS)
For More Information
If you have any questions regarding the content or implementation of the Organ and Tissue Donor Referral Toolkit, please click here to contact us by email.
LifeNet Health authorizes the use of this content by hospitals it serves as their organ procurement organization, tissue bank and/or tissue or organ recovery partner. By using this content, your hospital agrees to the following statements: The content is intended for educational and training purposes only. The content may be printed, electronically mailed, and stored for learner access at your hospital only. Hospital agrees it will not alter the content in any manner, will not provide it to an outside party, and will not commercialize it. LifeNet Health reserves the right to request the content be removed or discontinued at any time, and LifeNet Health may reissue revised content to hospital to replace content currently in use.