This Organ and Tissue Donor Referral Toolkit includes a variety of teaching tools and instructional resources intended to help providers implement a comprehensive educational program about the organ and tissue donor referral process.
At the end of this educational program, participants will be able to:
- Identify when it is appropriate to make a referral call to LifeQuest, the organ procurement organization, for organ donation based on clinical triggers
- Identify when it is appropriate to make a referral call to LifeNet Health for tissue donation after circulatory death
- State the time frame in which all referral calls must be made
- Understand the responsibilities of the donation organizations and the hospital partner in the referral process
- Understand the impact of organ and tissue donation and transplantation as a result of the donor referral call
This toolkit can be used for both clinical and non-clinical staff to explore the process and legal requirements of the donation process. A lesson plan is provided for those who wish to view this educational program as it incorporates all resources from the toolkit. This lesson plan includes time requirements, instructional notes, ideas for learning management system implementation, and more!
- Lesson Plan
- Video (with transcript for closed captioning)
- Agency Information Sheet
- Fact or Fiction Activity Sheet
- Certificate of Completion
Additional Resources and Stories of Donation
The federal government and the United Network for Organ sharing provide a wealth of information about organ donation, including up-to-date statistics and other resources that can support discussions about the impact of donation on both donor families and recipients. In addition, the video stories linked below provide first-person perspective on how donation changes lives.
- U.S. Government Information on Organ Donation and Transplantation
- United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS)
For More Information
For questions or more information on organ donation, please click here to contact LifeQuest.
For questions or more information on tissue donation, please click here to contact LifeNet Health.
LifeQuest and LifeNet Health authorize the use of this content by hospitals it serves as their organ procurement organization, tissue bank and/or tissue or organ recovery partner. By using this content, your hospital agrees to the following statements: The content is intended for educational and training purposes only. The content may be printed, electronically mailed, and stored for learner access at your hospital only. Hospital agrees it will not alter the content in any manner, will not provide it to an outside party, and will not commercialize it. LifeQuest or LifeNet Health reserves the right to request the content be removed or discontinued at any time, and LifeQuest or LifeNet Health may reissue revised content to hospital to replace content currently in use.