LifeNet Health Transplant Services Division is a leading, federally designated Organ Procurement Organization that coordinates the recovery and transplant of organs in Virginia and part of West Virginia, offers a comprehensive program of bereavement support for donor families, and educates the public about donation.
Donation and transplantation save lives, but there is a critical shortage of organs in Virginia and nationwide.
- Three Virginians die each week waiting for a life-saving organ transplant that doesn't come in time.
- One Donor can save 9 lives through organ donation and enhance more than 50 lives through tissue donation.
- Nearly 100,000 people are currently awaiting an organ transplant in the U.S.; more than 2,500 of those are in Virginia.
- On average, 18 men, women, and children die each day waiting for a life-saving organ transplant in the U.S.
- There were more than 28,000 transplants in the U.S. last year, and more than 700 of those were in Virginia.