Transplant Services, Organ Procurement Organization (OPO)
LifeNet Health Transplant Services Division is a leading, federally designated Organ Procurement Organization that coordinates the recovery and transplant of organs in Virginia and part of West Virginia and educates the public about donation.
Donation and transplantation save lives, but there is a critical shortage of organs in Virginia and nationwide.
- Three Virginians die each week waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
- One donor can save nine lives through organ donation and enhance more than 150 lives through tissue donation.
- Nearly 113,000 people are awaiting an organ transplant in the U.S. More than 2,500 of them are in Virginia.
- On average, 22 men, women, and children die each day waiting for a life-saving organ transplant in the U.S.
- There were more than 34,000 organ transplants in the U.S. last year, and nearly 600 of those were in Virginia.