LifeNet Health Transplant Services Division is a leading, federally designated Organ Procurement Organization that coordinates the recovery and transplant of organs in Virginia and part of West Virginia, offers a comprehensive program of bereavement support for donor families, and educates the public about donation.
Donation and transplantation save lives, but there is a critical shortage of organs in Virginia and nationwide.
- Three Virginians die each week waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
- One donor can save nine lives through organ donation and enhance more than 150 lives through tissue donation.
- Nearly 113,000 people are awaiting an organ transplant in the U.S. More than 2,500 of them are in Virginia.
- On average, 22 men, women, and children die each day waiting for a life-saving organ transplant in the U.S.
- There were more than 34,000 organ transplants in the U.S. last year, and nearly 600 of those were in Virginia.